Twitter

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Shaken, not stirred: Mix it up!

As we go down this design road, we're often faced with many crossroads, decisions and dilemmas that make us question our own personal aesthetics. So often, when consulting on a residential project I'm confronted with a client who is afraid to not follow "the rules". Granted, there are widely known interior design guidelines that make it really easy for even the most design-challenged individual to put together a room with some resemblance to style. It's kind of like using the FOIL method in high school algebra. By using a fool-proof method, like buying an entire prefab living room set or choosing colors that "go together", you too can play it safe. Well I' here to push you out of your comfort zone, whether you like it or not.

It's my humble opinion that the eclectic nature of life is the basis to a fantastic living space. We go through life collecting fantastic things that are just screaming to be used and admired. Funny story: My other half recently had a death in the family. Sad face. However, after collecting the belongings of said family member (sad face) a large chalk portrait of a young boy appeared on our wall. Amongst the many thought produced by the constant inner monologue inside my head, I thought that the young boy looked familiar, but paid no mind. I figured that the portrait was of some sentimental value, and even though it disturbed the carefully arranged, OCD level of décor in our apartment, I would let it stay. For now. Two weeks later it was revealed to me that it the portrait is actually of my other half. I cried (sad face) and now I'm obsessed with the portrait. Seriously, though. Once the emotional attachment was unearthed, the portrait became SO chic. like, kind of amazing.
Can you believe I was going to secretly put this in the closet in hopes he wouldn't notice? Don't judge me.
 Whether they be furniture pieces, dishware or even that old chair from Grandma's house that you shoved so ruthlessly into the storage unit, look at them with a new set of eyes even if they don't "go together". Keep your eye out at estate sales for vintage pieces to go along with you super modern bed, or classic light fixtures to go above your transitional dining table. I love mixing things that seem unexpected, so I decided to challenge myself for your amusement and also to show you that stepping outside of the box is both not scary and fruitful.

Challenge: A clusterf*ck of design Genres.
Contenders: Transitional, Louis XI, Vintage, Modern, Contemporary, Tribal, Abstract and Moorish.
It was with this menagerie I decided to sketch my design feelings into a harmonious, balanced little apartment to show you how these things, though you may not think so at first fit together seamlessly.
Pretty good right? By arranging each piece appropriately, things kind of just blend and mix, creating a very eclectic and tasteful mix. So the moral of the story is to not be afraid of things that don't quite "go together". Your space is a reflection of you, your life and the experiences you've had.
 
Now let's all hold hands.
 
Homeboy.







No comments:

Post a Comment