Twitter

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mini Blog: So... I bought a sofa.

Apparently I was living in an alternate universe. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain I somehow justified the purchase of a stark white sofa. Don't get me wrong, the thought of a crisp, white sofa nestled amongst the trappings of a stylish, urban apartment is mouthwatering to me, as a designer. Then reality took her glove off and smacked me in the face. My love of dogs and wine quickly shattered the fragile, lacey dream of an ivory multi-seater. Sofas go through a lot: guests, spills, you know... college. Think about all of the questionable things your sofa has seen over the years, including an up close view of your ass, your mom's ass, that random guy's ass and whatever other ass has passed through your place.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to stop subjecting my seating to the atrocities of life as a twenty-something (and yes, I am still a twenty-something). I came to said conclusion while standing in front of my white sofa last week and having an inner battle as to whether or not I actually wanted to sit on it. You see, my white, [semi]virginal sofa has tolerated things like this:
 

An infinite amount of stains, whose origins are totally untraceable, now mark her from head to toe as well as a previous cushion dismemberment thanks to one of my beloved four legged children, white sofa's days were numbered, and I knew it.

So.... I bought a sofa. Meet Henry. Dove Grey, performance velvet, mid- century realness.


 
My 3 tips before making such a purpose:

1. Scale- Make sure it fits. You really want to make sure it's not too big, or too small. Oh, and make sure you can get it up the stairs and through the front door.

2. Function- Select an upholstery that will suit your lifestyle. Henry is a "performance velvet", which is a fancy term for polyester. make sure the upholstery you select will clean and wear well. you'll thank me later.

3. Maintenance- First thing I did after carrying Henry over the threshold? Scotch Guarded the shit out of him. Preventative measures, homies.

Homeboy.

5 comments:

  1. does scotch guarding protect it from red wine? i've done nothing to our couch... now i am worried. thanks a lot.
    - Carly @howdairyyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Howdairyyou! Scotch guard is very effective when it comes to repelling stains and overall dirt and grime, and I highly recommend it. Would I suggest recklessly drowning your sorrows while sitting on your sofa, however? No. Take a seat in your nedroom closet like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a huge collection of leather couches when furnishing your house to chose. There are clear choices in colour and feel of leather but the design of couch can get a tremendous impact on the look of the place. Choosing for a leather couch that compliments other furnishing is vitally important. It's also crucial that when possible you utilize the architecture in the place you're furnishing........Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for blogging this, it was unbelieveably informative and helped me tons. Furniture Repairs Bolton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sofa Repairs Wigan:

    Everyone want to improve leather of own home, so everyone need best leather repair ,sofa repair and car seat repair provider . We provide leather repair in the variety of areas such as leather furniture repairs wigan, clothes, suitcase, handbags and car interior repairs. We can handle the leather repair of any object that you hold. Yes! Truly.

    http://leatherrepairsbolton.co.uk/wigan

    ReplyDelete